There is practical support available to make your journey easier – but where to start? How to find it? We can help you navigate your next steps and point you in the right direction.
Individual social work consult
We work in collaboration with you to empower you to reach your goals, resolve your issues and find the necessary services to support you. Our service might include:
- Agency Referrals
- Community Linking
- Educational Information Sessions
What to expect in session?
Our team are here to help in a compassionate and real way in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
First, we will get to know you, asking questions to determine how we can help. You can help us to clearly establish your challenges and your current situation by being open and responsive.
We will then work with you to establish a clear and realistic, step by step plan to get you closer to your goals. This might include:
- Connecting you to other systems, services and supports in the community that meet your needs through referrals.
- Assisting you through financial and legal issues with the resources necessary.
- Working with you to phone specific services.
Emotional and Social Support
- Talking through your current concerns, feelings and circumstances.
- Offering therapeutic support to help you cope in situations including carer stress and burnout.
- Exploring systems and supports that can help you.
- Collaborative problem solving and decision making.
- Connecting with the community to produce programs and workshops suitable for the community.
- Conducting information sessions on matters such as Grief and Loss, Carer Stress, Power of Attorney (POA).
- Bringing people together.
Advocacy and Legal Support
- We provide information on Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA), Guardianship or Administration orders, Wills and Advanced Health Directives.
- Advocating for/with you in your decisions, rights and entitlements where it is needed.
- Mediating between individuals and/or services to achieve a resolution.
- Providing support for complex family situations which can include family and domestic violence.
- Assisting in communication during conflict.
- Arranging family meetings and liaising with other health professionals.
Group Education Sessions: Social Work
From time to time we also offer special group education sessions delivered by our in-house social work team, social work educators, and respected industry providers.
They might cover topics such as navigating public transport in your local area, tips to create and maintain a budget, or safety for seniors online.
Anyone can attend these sessions whether you are participating in individual social work consults at UQ Healthy Living or not.
Group education sessions will vary as they are priced according to their operational requirements, while still offering fantastic value.
Keep up to date via our calendar.